Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Two Nights on Cove Mountain, Standing Stone Trail

I spent two very chilly nights on Cove Mountain, the ridge that overlooks Cowans Gap State Park.  The Standing Stone Trail follows the ridgeline in most places.
Finding a level spot to put up a tent can be an issue up here.  Between the rocks and the ground sloping off in both directions, campsites are hard to find.  But I did discover this long-disused fire ring and some relatively flat terrain just at the juncture of the Standing Stone with the Sharpe Trail--which, by the way, is crazy steep.
The whole weekend, I only saw two other hikers, a young couple on a Sunday morning.  
It was level enough, but not an ideal area for camping.  The top of Cove Mountain is mostly inside the Rothrock State Forest, which means that primitive camping is legal.
The views were good but not mind-boggling.  I liked the way you could see the shadow of the mountain descending out over Allens Valley as evening began to gather.
Ah, yes, one of my favorite views in all this world... When I do the Standing Stone from end to end, this tent that I love so much might prove a little too heavy.  I'm actually considering a hammock tent, so that I can set up camp in the trees: no need for level ground.
It's so incredibly peaceful to be in the woods as night falls.  I fell asleep watching "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" on my iPad and listening to the owls and coyotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment