Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Porcupine Rocks on Rocky Ridge, Standing Stone Trail

This is in State Game Lands #112, right beside the Standing Stone Trail.  The trail guide simply calls it a "dramatic rock spire."  And it is indeed dramatic.  It's absolutely huge.  I found it much easier to climb up into than down out of.
 Once up on top of those wonderful rocks, I decided they needed a better name than "dramatic rock spire."  Because of all the porcupine scat, I decided to call the place Porcupine Rocks.  I'm not sure why, but porcupines love rocky heights.  I discovered that long ago in the Allegheny National Forest at a place called "Bogus Rocks."  I wonder if it's the views they love or the fortress-like protection that the rocks afford.
 Remember, this is on a lower ridgeline surrounded by mountains higher and perhaps less rocky than the one on which I'm standing.  
This is the view looking east to Stone Mountain, which looms above Rocky Ridge like a vengeful math tutor.  There are plenty of rocks up there, too.  I don't know why the trail leaves the higher summit and runs along the lower one.  Maybe it's because of these great rocks.  There's also a lot of water here on the lower hill--unlike up there, where there's practically none.

No comments:

Post a Comment