Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Abandoned Farm on Covered Bridge Road, Greene County

 For one thing, the road is honestly little more than a gravel driveway that just keeps on going.  It follows Scott Run through a once-rich little valley of farms--see the post just below.  It's not unusual for farms to spread across both sides of a rural road, and when I came up on this one, I started snapping pictures.
 Someone still mows the lawn in spots, but this place bears all the recognizable-but-hard-to-name marks of abandon.  The vegetation is a little too wild.  The house, though not empty, looks disused, with too much debris on the porch and a lot of miscellaneous stuff in the windows and yards.  A general air of neglect and no vehicles around. 
 This is a lousy drive-by shot of the farmhouse.  Nice old place, remote and spacious.  There's a burglar alarm sign out front, which makes me think all the more that no one is living there.
 And down behind the barn, there sat an ancient car--some early 1950s model Detroit, the only car on the premises.
There were many outbuildings that I did not get photos of.  One of them looked like a little one-room schoolhouse.  If this place were in Allegheny County, I could easily look it up and see who owns it, but I'm not sure if Greene County has such things online.  I love exploring the back roads down here. 

2 comments:

  1. I actually do know a little about this farm; from what I remember, it belonged to the elderly parents of one of my grade school teachers, at least that's what I was told. When they passed away it was seemingly left to ruin, which is a shame. By the way, if you're ever down that way again, check out the Scott cemetery, it's directly across the road from the bridge, up on the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I've always shied away from Scott Cemetery because of the No Trespassing signs at the edge of it, but I'll definitely work up the courage someday.

    ReplyDelete