Thursday, September 26, 2013

North Country Trail, Moraine State Park, Part II

 I can't believe my good luck.  Yesterday was my day off, and I spent it hiking a section of the great North Country Trail through Moraine State Park, Butler County.  Today, my work took me to a very long, boring meeting at a conference center near Slippery Rock--also in Butler County.  
 After putting in a 3-hour appearance, it became pretty obvious that nobody would miss me for the rest of the meeting, so I skipped out early and went back to do the next segment of the North Country Trail: that part that runs between Alexander Ridge Road and PA 528.  
It's a beautiful hike that climbs up and down the sides of many small stream valleys, or "hollows."  There's an abundance of large, graceful beech trees in this part of the forest, with their smooth gray bark.  But the highlight along this portion of the NCT is Trout Cove, a quiet little inlet on Lake Arthur.  The water here is calm and murky with algae and lily pads.  

No comments:

Post a Comment