Wednesday, September 25, 2013

North Country Trail, Moraine State Park, Part I

          I hiked one segment of the North Country Trail through Moraine State Park last fall, and of course, I've hiked parts of the NCT on its long passage through the Allegheny National Forest.  Some autumn season, I'd like to backpack it from McConnell's Mill State Park all the way to the New York State line, but until that day, I'm confined to short segments at a time.
       Last year, I went from the NCT Adirondack shelters near Link Road all the way east to Mount Union Road.  Today, I began where I left off last time--at Mt. Union--and continued east into new territory all the way to Alexander Ridge Road.  I'm thinking my next trek will be from Alex Ridge to PA 528.  The Davis Hollow Marina--above--was pleasant on a Wednesday morning in late September.  I've heard that Lake Arthur was created out of strip mines and farms mainly to give Pittsburghers a place to go sailing.
       Davis Hollow Cabin is either a cut stone house with a log addition or a log house with a stone addition. The latter seems more likely, especially since the literature says that the older part of the house was constructed in the 1770s, prior to the American Revolution.  It belongs to the North Country Trail Association, and the place looks awfully cozy; it's definitely set up to welcome backpackers, though there was nobody there when I stopped by.
       I was under the impression that the house (it's not a cabin in the strictest sense) was the main headquarters of the NCT Association, but I might have been wrong about that.  It is surrounded by level areas for tents, cords of firewood, and places for people to lounge outside.  What would I give for a place like this?  Much.  Very much indeed.
       I don't know the name of the small pond that greeted me on the NCT just a few hundred feet east of the Mount Union Road trailhead, but it was a pleasant find.  It's always such a joy to happen upon a pond in the forest, especially in the fall when colorful trees reflect on calm water.  I think I'll just call it "Mount Union Pond."  The road seems to be named for a small cemetery with some pretty old headstones.  The cemetery, in turn, is probably named after some pioneer church (undoubtedly Presbyterian) that is no more.  The pond is pictured above and also in the top photo.
      I went too Raccoon Creek again this past Sunday, and so many trees were blighted with fungal infections that I decided to drive 55 minutes up to Moraine today.  It was worth the haul.  I always say the forests are taller, and straighter, and more confident upstate.

No comments:

Post a Comment