Friday, November 4, 2011

The Orb

I'm a rationalist.  I don't believe in miracles.  I don't believe in ghosts, or apparitions, or specters.  I don't believe in phantoms, or revenants.  That's not to say that I'm a pure empiricist.  I value mystery and uncertainty.  "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."  But I remain skeptical of the supernatural.

Here's my problem.  I live in a 150 year old farmhouse in Allegheny County.  Ugly, poorly constructed subdivisions have grown up around the place.  But we have nearly a full private acre, which we treat like a miniature farm.  The whole compound is separated from suburbia by an old privet hedge.  And inside, we've got a large garden, clotheslines, huge composting works, a few outbuildings.  I have my den in a little back bedroom, the only room in the house with only one window.  The panes of glass are old and rippled; they refract light unevenly like the surface of a pond--except without motion.  I walked into my den this evening.  All was dark, but I refrained from turning on the light because I noticed a strange square of light on the ceiling.  The square was about two feet by two feet, and it stood in a place where I had never seen light before.  It was rippled, as well, just like the light that passes through the old window.  I thought, "Hmm, the moonlight is reflecting off something on the ground outside, through the window, and onto the ceiling.  Strange."

I stood in the dark beneath the square of light, and I waved my hand between the light and the window, but my hand didn't cast a shadow.  As I puzzled, unable to find the source of the light, I started to grow uneasy.  I muttered something like, "This is a little creepy."  No sooner had I spoken than the square of light began to roll away.  That's to say, the westernmost end of the square receded into the easternmost end, as if a door were closing it out.  In a minor state of alarm, I fumbled for the light switch, but before turning on the overhead light, I noticed that there was indeed light entering the window and hitting the wall behind me in a much larger, dimmer square.  Very unlike the light I'd seen on the ceiling.

Twice this evening I've returned to the den to see if the square of light was back on the ceiling.  It wasn't.  Now I'm at a loss.  I want to find a logical, scientific explanation, and I refuse to be frightened in my own den.  At all cost, I have to love this place.  I'm locked into a mortgage the likes of which I never expected, and lord knows no fool would ever buy this old barn with its crumbling bricks and sagging floors.  There have been strange things here before: an occasional thumping noise, a tightly closed door that I know I left open; an electric light left on in a room where I know all was dark.  My wife and kids have never noticed these things.  I live with them and simply say, jokingly, "Okay, Hickmans!  I know you're still here!"  But these lights are too weird.  

No one really much reads this blog.  I don't keep the blog for its readership.  An occasional reader stumbles across it, not more than three or four per month.  The blog is mostly just a personal record of my excursions.  But does anyone out there want to tell me what the weird light's about?

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Your posting was quite interesting. There doesn't seem to be any normal explanation of this "orb". Has it happened since you posted this? I believe that we must accept unexplainable occurrences for what they are, especially if we attempt to remain openminded.

    Many parts of your blog take me back to growing up in South Fayette when it was still rural. I walked the woods off Battleridge Road picking berries and simply exploring. When the land became developed, I felt like I lost my childhood.

    By the way my best friend in high school lived on the grounds of Mayview State Hospital as her dad was the Protestant minister there back in the 1960's.

    You mentioned the Hickmans in this blog, do you live on what is left of the Hickman farm?

    I have posted comments to you before, specifically about the abandoned house, now falling down, on Battleridge Road in South Fayette Twp.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I discovered the source of the strange light; it was not an "orb" after all. I'm so embarrassed that I'm not even going to tell the world what it was...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. That wasn't fair. So it's like this: There's only one window in the room where I thought I saw the strange light. So I was waving my idiot's hand between that window and the eerie glow on the ceiling, expecting to see my hand's shadow, and seeing none. What I didn't consider was the I left the door into the adjoining room open behind me. (These old bedrooms all have "communicating doors.") A car pulled out of the ugly-arse-cookie-cutter subdivision across the road, reflecting the streetlight onto the ceiling of the adjacent guest bedroom, through the doorway, and into the den. I feel very foolish, but it does add fodder to my deep conviction that if I can't explain it, it isn't real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog and enjoy it very much.

    ReplyDelete