Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Blue Hole and Cole Run Falls, Forbes State Forest


I'd always heard about "Blue Hole" and thought it sounded like a kind of magical place.  Long ago I even tried to get there once and failed.  But one of the reasons I love maps is because I happened to notice on my old-fashioned paper map that my trek on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail near Kings Mountain Road was very close to the mysterious Blue Hole area of the Forbes State Forest.


It's a beautiful drive out to Blue Hole, a long, long descent into down from the summit of Laurel Ridge to the forest valleys on the flanks of that long hill.  Blue Hole itself is a nicely maintained area with an information kiosk, mowed grass, and a few places to park.  And this!  This is Blue Hole.  I think people must swim here when the water levels are higher.


And strangely, the water is in fact BLUE!  Look at it.  Turquoise?  Azure?  Why is it so blue with no sky to reflect?


The roads in this part of the Forbes are so lovely and serene.  From Blue Hole I decided to go looking for the nearby Cole Run Falls.



Again, the water levels aren't very high right now, so this waterfall might be more impressive in May than October.  But the well-marked waterfall is just off the road, and it's impressive enough.  It tumbles maybe 15 feet from above.


Actually, it's a series of small waterfalls, but I really only explored the area closest to the road.  



It's not the waterfalls of Maui, but it was a sweet spot in the woods.


1970?  These trees and I are the same venerable age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment