Monday, October 5, 2020

Lower Buffalo Church

Lower Buffalo Presbyterian Church looms large in the early history of Western Pennsylvania--at least in its religious history.  I accidentally came across it while driving Route 50 into Wellsburg, West Virginia.  (Yes, yes, I know, West Virginia again.  I tend to fixate on things for several months at a time.)  This congregation has been around since 1789, and their building stands less than a mile from the state line.  I gotta say, the place looks a bit ragged, with paint peeling off the window frames and wild vines growing up the sides.  The rule of thumb with Washington County churches is this: Pick the nearest body of water, which is often (but not always) named after an animal.  Pick either the word "upper" or "lower," then add your denomination and the word "church."  "Upper Buffalo Presbyterian Church, Lower Buffalo Presbyterian Church, Upper Raccoon Presbyterian Church, Lower Raccoon Presbyterian Church, Upper Ten Mile Presbyterian Church..."  You get the point.  Oh, and since I'm trying to switch my day off to Monday, I did take a long drive out to West Virginia again and got lost many times.  Find that adventure HERE.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment