Sunday, August 16, 2020

Around Schellsburg

This is the Colvin covered bridge, which is probably named for the Colvin Farm, very close by.  It's also just adjacent to Shawnee State Park.
Shawnee State Park is a beautiful place with a large lake, a swimming beach, and a decent campground.  I used it to put up my hammock and, at last, read through some of the journals I kept during my Africa years (1995-2000).  In the 20 years since I came back to the States, I've never once opened any of the journals that I wrote in over there.  
This is the wonderful bed and breakfast that, I think, used to be the Colvin Farm.  I stayed here for three nights to explore the nearby Buchanan State Forest, visit the Old Log Church, hang out at Shawnee State Park, and poke around the abandoned stretches of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  By the way, you can find this place on Airbnb.  Highly recommended!  It's called Woodhaven, and it hosts events like weddings, too: https://woodhaven1796.com.  
I love central Pennsylvania.  There's so much beauty and history there.  But there's also a CRAZY amount of Trumpism.  I would say nearly half the houses in Schellsburg had Trump signs out front.  It really makes you wonder.  I mean, they can't all be evil people who hate minorities and want to lose their social security and their mail service.  What do they see in that hate-filled airbag?

No comments:

Post a Comment