Monday, July 13, 2020

Rimrock, ANF

This is the view from Rimrock, the most recognizable feature of the Allegheny National Forest.  I hadn't been here in years, but I wanted to bring my daughters here to see it.
You can hike down among the rocks below the overlook.  The cracks between them exude a kind of cool, earthy air.  It blows out of the rocks almost like air-conditioning.
Such a beautiful spot, high among the treetops.
A few lesser overlooks like this one are not on any path and rarely visited.  The Allegheny National Forest is one of my favorite places in all the world, but I must admit that it has only few overlooks.  Most of its glories are hidden deep in the shadows of the great trees and far from the several grand and spreading views.  But it's nice that there are a few places to look out over the forest roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment