Saturday, October 26, 2019

McNay Ridge and Ryerson Campgrounds

This post is mainly a reminder to my future self.  Others will not be interested.  But, as I've said before, I keep the blog entirely for my own purposes.  Hey Self: The McNay Ridge group tenting area at Ryerson would be perfect for that camping experience that you've always kind of dreamed of creating.  This is the grassy parking lot, looking down toward the pavilion in the pines.
Past the pine grove where the pavilion stands, there's another broad clearing that could be used for tents and large gatherings--seen better from the next pic.
Here, we're standing in the large clearing looking back toward the pavilion.  It's a big meadow, perfect for what I have in mind...
A little lane separates this group tenting area from the main campground and the rest of the park.  It feels remote.
The pavilion and restrooms are in a smaller clearing near the parking area.

The campground auditorium is perfect for my purposes!  And it's on McNay Ridge, just adjacent to the group tenting area.  It seats about 70, but could seat more if people brought lawn chairs.  It's totally reminiscent of the "brush arbors" of olden times.
It's even got an old church bell that could be rung with a hammer to call people to meetings.
And a stone pulpit...
The auditorium and bell as seen from the lane toward the tenting area.  The group I'd like to create could come back here every summer.  It'd take a lot of planning, but not too much money.  I'll have to give it more thought, but wanted to document my findings for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment