Wednesday, November 18, 2015

More Rural Abandon, Greene County

This place is posted but very nearly irresistible to a ghoulish trespasser like me...  Too bad there was a junky old car parked in front of the house just opposite; I might have gone inside.
Here's the backside of the same house.  It stands at the turn-off to get to SGL #302, described below, right at the corner of Nebo Ridge Road and Walker Hill Road.  Aren't the road names great down here?
 This old farm was very tempting.  It's right at the place where you turn off of Walker Hill to pursue Smokey Row Lane into the game lands.  It's been abandoned for a long time, but there were still curtains in some windows, and it called to me.
 Here's the front of the house, as seen from the driveway.  There are no "No Trespassing" signs, and it looks like the barn is still used...which did worry me a little.  In fact, I thought I heard strange banging noises coming from in there, but there are all manner of weird noises in mining country, especially up on these windy ridges.
 I pulled into the driveway and was preparing to make for the house, when an inexplicable feeling of dread came over me.  The place just creeped me the hell out.  I turned tail, and I've been kicking myself all the way home.  I honestly think I would have gone in if there'd been a more concealed spot to park my car.  As it was, any passerby (of which I saw none) would know that somebody had parked there to snoop.
There was a handful of outbuildings, and the barn--not shown--may have horses or livestock still in it.  Somebody seems to be keeping a trailer parked near the barn, which also gave me the impression that, though the house is empty, the farm is still visited by its owner and used for various things.


No comments:

Post a Comment