Thursday, December 26, 2013

Keystone State Park

I was supposed to head up north to the Allegheny National Forest to spend a few days in the Big Woods.  But Christmas tired me out so badly that I canceled my reservations at the cabin and decided to spend these between-holidays times doing some long hikes closer to home.
 Keystone State Park is named after an old, now-happily-defunct coal mining company called "Keystone."  It's one of those hiking destinations that comes to my attention every once in a while, but I never ventured there because it was just a little further afield than I like to travel for a small and undramatic state park.  Don't get me wrong.  It's a nice place, and it's got all the amenities: a lake, camping, picnicking, cabins, yurts.  In the summer, there's a beach with a concession stand and paddle boats for rent.
 The problem is that it's only got about six miles of hiking trails.  And even at that, I got the distinct impression that some of the trails meandered needlessly just to make them a little longer.  There are no overlooks or sweeping vistas--despite the fact that nearby Murrysville claims to be in the Laurel Highlands.  And yet, the lake is pleasant, and the woods is quiet, and I had the place largely to myself on this cold St. Stephen's Day.
December 26 definitely has an identity crisis, despite the fact that it has more proper names than any other day of the year I know...the Feast of Stephen, the Second Day of Christmas, Boxing Day.  I've always known December 26 as the day my wife returns whatever Christmas gift I got her.  On Northern Exposure--the greatest TV show of all time--I remember the dingbat character, Shelly Tambo, saying that something or another was "as yucky as the day after Christmas."  I have to agree that the day after Christmas is usually pretty blank.  The house is trashed, and it will take a week to absorb all the newly acquired stuff.  The Christmas decorations are beginning to look maudlin.  Lots of folks are traveling or nursing hangovers.  A winter hike is really the best way to spend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment