Saturday, June 8, 2013

Oliver Miller Homestead, 1772

There is a historic farm on the grounds of South Park.  It figures prominently in the history of the Whiskey Rebellion, which took place in the 1790s mainly here in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.  The homestead does reenactments and demonstrations, but it was closed today when I happened to be in the park.  It looks like it might be worth a visit, and it's cheap: only $2 when there's an event and $1 when there's no event.  I came across a lady working in the vegetable garden who told me that they largely grew things that could be kept through the winter, like carrots, squashes, parsnips, turnips, and potatoes.  That's kind of the direction I'm going with my garden this year, too.

William Hogeland's recent popular history of the Whiskey Rebellion implicates Oliver Miller in igniting the incident which set off the armed uprising.  It took place right here at his farm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment