Sunday, April 7, 2013

Heron Trail, Raccoon Creek

           The Heron Trail is a short but scenic connector path.  It has some nice views as it wends up into the highlands overlooking the "Upper Pond" at Raccoon Creek Park.  Strangely, the trail was completely virgin territory to me.
            Saturday was the perfect day for a hike.  Cool and bright.  Starting off at the Mineral Springs trailhead, I was amazed to find eleven cars in the small parking lot.
           Pittsburghers must have cabin fever.  Even in high summer, I've never seen so many cars in the lot.  But truly, most of them didn't hike very far into the woods; many lingered close to the parking area.
           My love for Raccoon Creek is familial.  Like a family member, I did not choose the park; circumstances chose it for me.  I might never have had the wisdom to pick it for myself, but I'm glad it's in my life.  Once again, I was astonished to come across a whole gaggle of tents at the year-round Sioux Camping Area.

1 comment: