Tuesday, March 12, 2013

McKees Rocks: An Onion-Domed Diamond...in the Rough

HELLO. The below article was written in 2013, and it has elicited more comments than any other article ever published on this obscure blog.  The editorial board here at Snow and Jaggers regrets any offense that it has caused to many folks who know and love the community of McKees Rocks.  We really do!  And yet, we leave it here on the blog because to take it down would mean eliminating all of the comments that people have made here about their beloved community.  When the article was written, the author was not fully aware of the complicated feelings (memories, hopes, losses, dreams...) that surround all communities where people try to make their lives--especially those communities that have fallen on hard times.  The author was also less than sensitive to the struggles of ethnic and racial minorities in McKees Rocks.  If it helps at all, the writer has since been fired.  The last anyone heard, that author was writing speeches for Ted Cruz.  😕  (Not really.)

        McKees Rocks is to Pittsburgh what Jersey City is to New York: a disreputable younger brother across the river whose name you know, but you're not sure why.  Like an overshadowed sibling, it has its own charms and worthwhile traits, but most people never discover them.  Wikipedia doesn't mention this, but it was here that Pierre Chartiers--a half-Shawnee, half-French fur-trader--had his trading post in the 1750s.
           In local shorthand, this place is called "The Rocks."  It's interesting that Pittsburgh is placed between two towns named after the McKee Family, and both of those towns are located at confluences where large tributaries join up with one of the Burgh's three great rivers.
           McKeesport, of course, is to the southeast of the city at the spot where the Youghiogheny (or Yawk) joins the Monongahela.  McKees Rocks is northwest of the city at the juncture of Chartiers Creek with the Ohio.  (I've made the argument many times that Chartiers Creek would be called "a river" next door in the Buckeye State...)
           I'm sure people make jokes about The Rocks being "on the rocks," but I found the place pleasant enough.  Like many satellite cities in the Pittsburgh region, it is plenty gritty and struggling with a loss of identity and sustainable industry.  And yet, it's a hilly town with beautiful churches and public buildings, steep brick streets, and access to two rivers.
          Here again, it would be a misnomer to call this place a "suburb" of Pittsburgh.  It's a satellite city with its own unique identity and feel.  Consider the ethnic makeup.  The churches in the Onion Domed neighborhood--a part of town known even to my iPhone as "The Bottoms"--are Ukrainian Orthodox, Byzantine Catholic, and Orthodox Church in America--which is largely Russian.  So this place is "The Rocks Bottoms"?  
           The problem with urban ghost towning is that there's always someone watching you when you try to slip into an abandoned building.  And, of course, you're more likely to come across a drug addict or mentally ill homeless person once you get inside.  Here in The Bottoms, a guy started to follow me around, assuming that I was up to no good.  I managed to lose him in an alley, but honestly, I think I could have taken him.
         And he was right anyway: I was up to no good.  Slinking around, admiring the decay, wondering about the lives of those 19th century Slavs and Serbs who made their way to this place, banded together, tried like hell to keep their mother tongues alive, along with their cuisine, and their customs.  They erected onion dome churches to stand on the skyline of this old river town, reminiscent of the domes that preside over the far-off steppes and tundras of their native countryside.  But fields and forests were off limits to them in this new land; around here, the landowners were all of Western European descent.  So they huddled with their own kind in dense urban neighborhoods.  They dug their vegetable gardens in the tiny backyards: beets, and potatoes, and cabbages, and all the cold-tolerant greens of the East.  Then--having spent years dreaming about a new way of life in this place--they set about dreaming of the old way of life in the place they left behind.  Here and now, their greatest urgency was to keep alive the traditions of the old country, clinging to a fading identity.

          Here's the Pittsburgh skyline as seen from McKees Rocks with the Ohio River in the middle ground.  I'll come back with my kayak when the weather is better.

23 comments:

  1. Trish Muschar (Patty)September 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

    Love my hometown.. SO need to get involved in Saving it.. !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a life long resident of McKees Rocks, I can tell you, people use to have pride in their community. "Outsiders" moved in, section 8, and sex offenders. Yes, sex offenders housed in various homes. Druggies moving into the very heart of the community, ruining the neighborhoods that our Great Grandparents immigrated to. Taking back their neighborhoods haven't been an easy task. I admire the ones that are sticking it out and still have hope for change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% Estelle, it is not the same since section 8 and all the outsiders who brought the crime here. But will stay until I die. Love the town.

      Delete
  3. I lived in the rocks for 7 years during my middle and high school years. I loved it. it made me who I am today. But I am glad I moved on when I graduated

    ReplyDelete
  4. MCKEES ROCKS, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow-and-Jaggers Blog loves McKees Rocks! Our whole editorial board loves the place. It's a town with character, and a strong sense of identity, and really great pierogies! Nobody at our blog knocks the Rocks!

    -SBP / Snow-and-Jaggers Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shows nothing but horrible pics, how can you claim to love the rocks when you only show decay and run down areas?

      Delete
  6. It's a fascinating town in a great location. You can be downtown or in the suburbs in mere minutes, the housing is cheap and the town is perfectly liveable. I live in Stowe / West Park, and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Born and raised in the Bottoms. I lived here for 32 years,when I was Lil it was a nice town where everybody looked out for each other. Not know more the outsiders ruined it here,and it's getting worse day by day, year after year. It's ashame cause it was a good place to live when I was younger,like 20ish years ago. Now its a drug town a heroin epidemic took it over and will never get it back. The cops are crooked, and scared to do their jobs. It's now like a hole that someone is trying to fill in but failed drastically. ���������� those should be the signs that should be up in stead off these ones ��������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ������������ describes the rocks

      Delete
  8. its not the outsiders that ruined it,its the corruption of your boro counsil that has ruined it,dont pass blame onto others till you look what you created

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Mckees Rocks, thats where i was raised. There still good people their. I think it can be restored to the laid back place it used to be. All it needs is a little T L C and a new magistrate and Mayor! Bring in someone thats not Crooked!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was born and raised here...it was a great place growing up and I agree that the outsiders who were dumped here via section 8 are responsible for the decline...they don't care , I plan to stay til I die !! And yes we need new leadership !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Estelle and Anonymous of 9-7-15 @ 10:56pm - Section 8 and Sex Offenders didn't ruin the Rocks. Nor did druggies moving into the heart of the community - the declining economy brought the Rocks down - it was a railroad and steel mill town, once those industries were gone so was the Rocks! Your leadership failed you! These industries as they were declining should have been quickly replaced with other businesses that would support a community. They should of sought out and retained money from the State and Federal Governments to help save this Boro. They did not and therefore, nothing else could have saved it if it weren't for section 8 and poor people supplements. Crime comes with poverty! It's a known correlation! The Rocks will be revived thanks to a growing Railroad - but not as revived as it was before - it still needs to do a lot o changing - more industry needs to come in. And it will, now that the Rocks is deemed a depressed area and Enterprise Free Zone (in other words there are tax incentives both locally and with the state and federal governments) to help build this economy up again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was born and raised in the Bottoms. I loved it. It was a very safe community and we could take late night walks and no one would have hurt us. It's not like that anywhere now a days. There are so many things that went wrong in McKees Rocks. Don't blame it on one culture it was multiple things that made that area decline. It was once a beautiful place to grow up. I raised my children there until they started getting bullied by kids that were moving in from the city. I left, I really wish it was the same place I grew up in so they could have the same feeling of neighborhood. Its a shame...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too grew up there and still go there daily to visit my aging mother who needs just a bit of help. There is history in McKees Rocks, lots of it, some good, some bad. Nothing ever stays the same and for that, I personally am thankful. You may see this area in decline but I see potential. Rather than thinking about what once was, why not think about what it is becoming and get involved in directing it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always was a shit hole hate when people say it was a great place smh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous sept 8th 8:02am
    Obviously you weren't born and raised there at the right time because it was a nice safe place for years! I moved recently to get away from what it has become for my kids sake. I used to walk from my house to school and all around west park feeling as safe as anyone anywhere. Anyway I'm praying for that town like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel safe walking around McKees Rocks, see iv lived here forever and through most of the very violent times. The only ones scared are those that are new, I know many white men and woman whom walk the street's freely because this is their home and they have the respect of the hoods or ghettos around them. The rocks is an awesome place to live I still do, the only time it sucks is for the new folks. My while family lives here run a business here, the rocks is the hood but it is also home to many great people. McKee's Rocks will always be home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clearly some people don't remember the gang wars in the 90s. Or the Mafia wars. Yes such a great place in the eighties I would hear gunshots out my bedroom window please tell me about this wonderful time. Should have had a nuclear bomb dropped on it 50 years ago

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Rocks is facing challenges. Corruption is abound. Blind eyes used as not to see. It's still prejudice. Not only are we killing ourselves we still get shit treatment and our children scorned tho NOT in the minority at the school. Few dedicated teachers and they're afraid to come to school. My 3 went k-12 and I am traumatized as are they. Sent home in handcuffs every year of HS at the last 2 weeks. Told she could not get the work but come last day to take finals. Lost my son's English paper 4 YES 4 times just to fail him. these are the better things that happened to me at Sto Rox HS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I'm so sorry for the injustices you are experiencing. Racism is still very real in America today. I almost regret publishing this article because it has attracted a lot more negative attention than expected! Be well, I wish you the best. And all the best to McKees Rocks and all our troubled communities.

      Delete