Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas in the 70s

 "Where's Merlin, where did he go?"  He's in a toy museum...in Rochester, New York.  I found him under the Christmas tree, circa 1978.  It was a little disconcerting to rediscover him in a museum in 2012.  Has the apple really dropped so many times since those days?  
 At one time, America was completely fixated with (and traumatized by) the big, campy shark...so much so that Saturday Night Live lampooned the fixation with a skit about a land shark.  I discovered this guy beneath the tree one year, too.  And I've been catching glimpses of him in swimming pools, and lakes, and bathtubs, and hot tubs ever since...
To this day, one of the best Christmas gifts I've ever received was a Green Machine.  It's steered with levers instead of a wheel.  Way cooler than a Big Wheel!  I used to ride mine in the parking lot of the church next door.  I loved to take corners at top speed and skid off the pavement.  But alas, here it is behind glass...

No comments:

Post a Comment