Saturday, November 24, 2012

Frankfort Mineral Springs

           The Frankfort Mineral Springs are an old spa dating back to the late 1700s.  All that is left here is the water spring, a building, and some stone foundations and lawns.  In wetter seasons, the trickle of water on the left side of the photo becomes a full-blown waterfall.  That's my florescent orange cap atop my walking stick; it's that time of year again when you have to carry a talisman into the forest to ward off the bullets.   
           Speaking of orange, I don't know what minerals are in this water, but I'd say there's definitely iron.  This, too, is in Raccoon Creek State Park, which is becoming my new haven.  I come into the east entrance of the park then drive the wooded lane five miles west to the middle of the park, and the further I go, the more relaxed I become.  By the time I've reached the lake, I'm thinking to myself, "I just love this place."  It took me a long time to accept the fact that Raccoon Creek was my best local option for woodland adventures.  I couldn't stop comparing it to the Allegheny National Forest and feeling disappointed.
 There's great hiking in this part of the park, which is just off PA18.  I'd never fully discovered these trails because I just never gave the park a chance.  
 I especially like the Upland Trail and parts of the Mineral Springs Loop--the parts that don't run alongside a busy state highway.  The forest here is pretty, if a little noisy.
 I'm not sure what the building is about, but it's interesting enough.  
The Mineral Springs Loop Trail runs beside a deep ravine that was too narrow and wooded to photograph, but which made a scenic backdrop for my sylvan meditations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment