Thursday, October 25, 2012

Temple Rodef Shalom, Pittsburgh

What can I say?  I'm just a guy who likes Jewish temples.  But I also like mosques...and churches.  I'm into religious architecture because it's so ambitious.  It tries to convey a sense of the numinous.  Religious buildings are more intentional than other structures in their attempt to create a distinct atmosphere.  They're self-consciously artistic.  Even if you don't believe in their myths and traditions, religious edifices are works of art, intended to evoke a feeling.  
 Temple Rodef Shalom is the oldest synagogue in the western half of the state, and it's a pretty cool building no matter what your spiritual or architectural preference.  It's built right up against Fifth Avenue, in the Oakland neighborhood.  For that reason, it's hard to photograph unless you cross the street and manage to snap a shot when there are no cars passing...which means 3am on a Sunday morning.  
 In terms of sheer grandeur, it doesn't compare to its elder sister and near-namesake in Philadelphia, Congregation Rodeph Shalom, which is a truly gorgeous building. But this is the hub of Reform Judaism in Pittsburgh and the largest congregation of any Jewish sect out here in Western PA.   
The interior is even harder to photograph than the exterior.  It's just too dark inside for my iPhone to capture.    I took lots of nice pictures, but none of them came out.  I consider myself lucky that blurry photos are the worst I got for snooping around on such sacred ground.  I think Judaism is a rich and beautiful spiritual path.  But let's face it, Moses would have a bloke like me stoned right quickly...and when I say "stoned," I'm not talking about anything harmless and pleasant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment