Saturday, August 25, 2012

Raccoon Creek State Park, Heritage Trail

           Raccoon Creek is a nice enough park.  The PADCNR lists it among the "Top 20 Must See Parks" in the state, which I think is a little ambitious.  As far as scenery goes, it's typical Western Pennsylvania: picturesque, but nothing spectacular.  Compared to Blue Knob (which did not make the "Top 20"), Raccoon Creek is a dive.  But a hiker living in Pittsburgh eventually learns not to compare.  Raccoon is what I have available within a half hour's drive, and it's good enough.  
          I was on the Heritage Trail today at 7:30am, so the forest was dark, misty, and cool.  I got to see the sun rising through the trees.  I also ran into some unexpected wildlife.  As I rounded a bend, I heard something rooting around in a snarl of fallen trees.  I smacked my walking stick against a small tree to announce my presence, and a dog-like animal raised its head at me.  The thing had the coloration of a black bear: tan / brown muzzle and black fur everyplace else.  And yet, it's face was distinctly canine.  I wonder if coyotes can be black?  When it raised its head, about 20 feet away from me, I hissed at it and waved my stick.  It disappeared, and I heard scrambling on the forest floor, but I didn't hear it retreat...which troubled me a little.

         It's possible to backpack in a loop all the way around the park, and I've been thinking about doing it.  You're only allowed to camp in designated sites, which are quite primitive, but it might make a nice activity in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment