Sunday, December 18, 2011

Le Soleil d'Hiver


The Montour Trail is a last resort for me.  It's typically too crowded.  But if you pick a chilly gray December day, with the slightest dusting of snow on the ground, you probably won't run into anyone.  Besides, the stretch from US-22 northward to Imperial is---though postindustrial---somehow otherworldly...in a good way.  If not for a hint of seedy Appalachian neglect, the little settlements along the trail would have a toy-like quality, reminiscent of the miniature Christmas villages of a toy train set.


3 comments:

  1. It is always such a joy returning to this blog. Its never a disappointment as you seem to always wind up somewhere intriguing in every post. If you and I were taking a cup of kindness for Auld Lang Syne, I would toast that you never run out of interesting places to wander. Have a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, John. I'll lift my glass to interesting places to wander! You do realize you're the only "follower" this blog has?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I did not know that. I only really follow two blogs. I should tell you that I treat Snow and Jaggers with the same reverence I usually assign a good book. Its something to read when its quiet with a good cup of coffee and plenty of time to get lost. Given those parameters, I'm not here often, but when I am, I'm here in earnest.

    ReplyDelete