Sunday, February 6, 2011

Maybe in Summer

This old farmhouse sits in a wooded depression just off PA978. The house itself is not highly visible from the road, but anyone who rushed past the many "No Trespassing" signs to approach the place--alas--would be highly visible. This road stays busy, and there are three or four occupied homes nearby.

Most disturbingly, the signs that ward off all the would-be-trespassers (I prefer the terms "local archaeologist" or "historical re-envisioner") are identical to the signs that forbid entry on the inhabited farming complex across the road. This makes me think that it's all part of the same blamed farm. I surmise that the people who own this place simply moved aross the street when the old house started to get too hard to maintain. That means the actual owners might see you ducking off the road and down into the wooded lot.


It was probably grandpa's house. It's probably been in the family for years. Around here, you often see a stately old farmhouse returning to its elements and, in the yard nearby, a mobile home.

I've been wanting to get inside this place ever since I first noticed it in the fall. But summer will be the time to come back. By mid-June, the trees will be in full leaf, hiding the house from view. Tall weeds will make access less visible, too.

Not that there's anything spectacular about this house. It's certainly not stately. Never was. The style is all too common in Southwest Pennsylvania and Northeast Ohio. It's not especially big. As far as I can tell, there's only one chimney and the attic is a crawl-space. This was a farm of modest means.

You gotta love those old shingle-sided houses that are made to look like fake brick. I'll be coming back here when the vegetation is high.

8 comments:

  1. The house could be as early as 1800 or as late as 1860. If its in any of the southern counties radiating out from the fork in the Ohio, it construction date could dip back into the 18th century. I'd have to get inside and snoop around to say for sure. However, the earlier the date, the more stately a house like this would have been considered back in it's day. From 1800 - 1840, a two story, five bay house with a center hall that is two rooms wide and two rooms deep was the home for wealthier members of the community. Sadly, these homes are disappearing all over western Pennsylvania. They are some of our earliest dwellings and represent the formative beginnings here west of the Alleghenies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, THAT, my dear readers, is a comment!

    Thank you for your insights into local architecture, John. Actually, I got the impression that the above house was only one room deep, but I'll let you know in June!

    This farmhouse is in South Fayette Twp., Allegheny County.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could very well be only one room deep. That would make it a textbook "I" House: two rooms over two with a central hall. Take lots of pictures when you return in June and don't fall through the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered your blog and have enjoyed reading it from time to time. Looking at the picture of this old farmhouse, especially in relation to its location to the road, it bore a strong resemblance to one that is only a mile or two from the house where I grew up. Surprise, that is the house!

    The farm across the road was called Bell's Farm many years ago and I don't believe that this old farmhouse was part of that farm at that time. There is a lot more property behind this old house that used to be farmed until this house became vacant.

    By the way, I was told that the fake brick shingles that are so common on these old homes, vacant and occupied, are called insul brick. (I am not sure of the spelling.)

    Anyway, thanks for the insightful posts on this blog. As someone who explored the woods many years ago, your blog brings back wonderful memories. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joni,

    Thanks for providing a little info about the farmhouse. You wouldn't happen to know anything about the people who lived here, would you?Actually, I did a Google Earth search and discovered that the best way to approach this place is from the new housing development behind it. I hope to do a future post from the inside of this place. In the meantime, I should be posting photos of lesser excursions this weekend.

    -SBP

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can check with my mom who still lives down the road from the house. She may have some idea who may have lived there. I will be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    An update on the folks who owned the farmhouse and property off of 978. My mom asked around and learned that the previous owners were John/Helen Sowinski.
    The current owner of the home and orchard across the road, his name is Stone, purchased that dilapidated house also. That is all the information that I have for you. Good luck with your rambles. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Joni. I appreciate your detective work. So it DOES belong to the folks across the street!

    ReplyDelete