Saturday, September 12, 2026

Midlife Wonders: Birds, Wildflowers, Houseplants


My weird, unexpected, and perhaps slightly less than manly interest in wildflowers continues.  So much so that I've taken to drying them, so I can put them out in the winter.  I still have a "best friend" from my college days--though it feels strange for someone my age to have such a thing.  When I told him about my new interest in wildflowers, he disapproved.  Funny how Gen X men are always policing each other's masculinity...


No one ever told me that your mid-50s would be like a second childhood--a time when you regard the world with wide-eyed wonder and a fresh openness to new discoveries.


I've gone over half a century without noticing birds and wildflowers.  But now?  Now I can't look away.  How did I miss them for all these years?  I even bought two low maintenance houseplants yesterday.  Never in my life have I owned a houseplant.  Now I wonder how I lived so long without them.  


There was a whole flock of goldfinches at my feeder up North--beautiful small birds with bright yellow bodies and black wings.  I sat and watched them like a movie, grinning like a fool.  And there were chickadees, and nuthatches, and tufted titmice, and house wrens--like the one who used to live in a little box on my grandmother's clothesline pole.  She called it "Jenny Wren."  Chipmunks and mourning doves chased each other beneath the feeder, picking up the fallen seeds.  The world is a place of many wonders.  But it takes us so long, so, so very long to have our eyes opened to many of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment