Friday, April 7, 2017

A Rainy Day in the Forbes State Forest

I took a wrong turn while hiking the Forbes this past Thursday.  I was saturated from the constant rain, the muddy trails, the waterlogged ground.  Hiking with wet feet is the worst.  
 I'm planning a backpacking trip for later this month, and I was scouting out a good site to set up camp the first night.  But the rain was almost unbearable.  Somehow it seemed to pass right through my poncho.  I decided to take a detour and dry out at a cabin I know that sits open.  
But approaching the cabin from this direction was guesswork, and I guessed wrong.  I ended up following an old forest road way back to a lonely place with good views of the distant mountains.  This third photo is where the road ends.  Why it even comes here, I don't know.  There's been some timber cutting out here--hence the clear views--so maybe it's an old logging road.
After getting home and looking at a better map, I see that I was actually quite close to the cabin, and would have arrived there if I'd turned left instead of right at the fork in Weaver Road.  But it turned out alright.  The rain cleared up for about an hour and a half, offering nice vistas out over the Laurel Highlands beneath glowering gray skies.  Click on the top photos to see the misty blue mountains on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment